Monday, April 27, 2009

Hello again old friend. (maybe)

The other day, while checking in on one of my favorite sites: apartmenttherapy.com, I saw this story about MIO at Target. Eco-friendly designer products at Target? I HAD to see what that was about. I clicked around the store's site. The products looked neat. Nothing I need, but cool looking nonetheless. Hmmm....I wonder...

I did a quick google search on Target Corporation Inc. and found that not only is there a new CEO running the show (as of 5/2008), they also made public a 2008 Corporate Responsibility Report, which featured this nifty pie chart:

Target Corporation Direct Contributions










Doth mine eyes deceive me? Is this true? Or clever marketing? Is there such a thing as politi-washing? You see, in the last four+ years, I've managed to curtail my shopping at Target to exactly the following times:
  1. I needed a gift in time for lunch ASAP and that was the only store open before work in which I absolutely knew I would be able to find said gift. I think this was in the first year I stopped shopping there.
  2. Third year in, Sergio and I were walking in Pasadena and suddenly needed some sort of medication or bandage -- I think a combination of the two. There was a cut finger involved. Gosh, I wish I remembered what it was. Anyway, we happened to be right in front of that giant Target on Colorado.
  3. Fourth year in, we were given Target gift cards for both our wedding and a post-wedding bridal shower at work.
  4. Just last week, my coworker and I went in to purchase eco-friendly raffle prizes for a work event. I didn't spend my own money so I don't think this counts.
The original reason for boycotting was a very differently sliced pie back then. That quickly evolved into a surprisingly freeing lifestyle change that I absolutely loved. As a loyal fan of the store, I used to spend way too much on things I thought I "needed" and ended up with a lot of "stuff." Target marketing is so very good and I am so very susceptible. I admit it freely. Fun colors, friendly design, the smell of popcorn...got me every time I walked in.

When I made the conscious decision to stop going inside Targets, I found that I honestly, truly, didn't miss it that much. I was forced to spend a few cents more on certain household items, but that made me all the more conscious of my spending and consumption--resulting in overall money savings. Egads! One can survive without Target! Quite well and potentially better, actually. It also sort of coincided with our move to our current tiny home so the timing was perfect.

So, do I go back?
I don't know. I have been seriously torn about this. Especially after I saw all the eco-friendly items/supplies they now carry. Sergio and I discussed this -- yes, it warranted a discussion -- the strategy is this: I am allowed to go back, mainly for eco-friendly items for now. If it spirals into overspending again, I am back on the wagon. Even though this sounds like a good strategy, I'm still not sure. I'm trying to be a conscious consumer and it's hard enough without the sexy lure of Target's bountiful bosom.

No comments:

Post a Comment