Friday, April 24, 2009

Dinner: 4/19/2009

Sergio was told by his doctor to try the Dash diet. There are very specific requirements for this diet. But generally, it means less sodium, less meats and a whole lot of veggies and fruits.

I took a look at the Dash diet specifications and it kind of made my head spin with the calorie intake and measured portions. Unless it's baking or I'm following a recipe, I don't ever cook with specific portions. So, I thought I'd start slow and easy by simply cutting out some blatant salt seasoning and adding in more fruit.

Last Sunday, I made an almost all veggie, low-sodium dinner and it turned out surprisingly yummy! I'm going to have to get used to cooking without pre-made sauces which I think are such great time-saving inventions. Gourmet chef I certainly am not.

Appetizer
We first snacked on some lightly salted veggie chips purchased from Tom's Farms. They were very good and we wish we had purchased two bags. They even had taro!

Eggplant with white beans
Sauteed red onions, garlic, parsley and basil until onion was translucent, then added eggplant. Added a bit of low-sodium chicken broth (eggplant is very thirsty so I had to keep an eye on it and pour more in as it needed). Once cooked halfway, I added canned white beans that had been soaked and drained. Kept on low heat until eggplant was cooked thoroughly. I added more broth as needed. I let the concoction rest a bit before serving.

Simple Salad
Mixed greens with sliced pears (ripe but not too soft yet), sliced red bell peppers, and a few of the white beans that I saved before tossing into the eggplant dish. Sergio skipped the dressing. I added in a tiny drizzle of Italian I had saved from a delivery meal. They always give us way too much and I feel like it's such a waste to toss it in the trash. I rarely buy Italian dressing and was surprised at how good this was with the salad.

Dessert
Lots and lots of super sweet, gigantic strawberries from the Eagle Rock Farmer's Market, purchased on the preceding Friday.

If we had ended here, it would have been perfect. But of course, I scrounged around and found some Italian chocolate I had hidden away. >sigh< This diet is going to be hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment