Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Landscaping: Patio Plants!

Bebi and Nora arrived a week ago today. Since then, Sergio (with help from Bebi) has completed the steps and another retaining wall behind it, put in the pavers, picked up two carloads of free mulch from the city and filled in the back planter area, covered it with red wood chips and put in 10 plants. Also, he moved and sunk in one of our existing wood box planters to be next to the steps. It is gorgeous and we love it! We have named our little buddy, the resident mockingbird, Alfonso Mel. He provides natural music for al fresco lunches. At night, we light the candles and our little solar lights switch on...it's fabulous.

There was minor controversy over the paver design. Bebi and I differed on the placement of just a single paver. Guess who's final design we ended up with? :)



Nora and I had loads of fun picking out sun loving plants. Our main directive was to select water sippers. Turns out the Japanese Maple that Sergio got for me and that I so love does actually need good water, especially until it's established. We put it into a mostly shady corner where the soil is loaded with moisture that drains down from yards on the hill above.




The weather is extraordinary right now. I finally had Sergio pull down our two boxes of warm weather clothes. I slipped into my bright pink dress as soon as I got home today. Ok. I'm off to join the Spinas in our patio. Since it's Cinco de Mayo today, perhaps I will shake up a few margaritas too.

8 comments:

  1. It looks really great Elsie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mart! Hopefully we'll be able to get a heat lamp too so it might be suitable in the winter (hint, hint). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. can't wait to see it in person! invite me soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. of course b! as soon as the in-law festivities are concluded!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks absolutely gorgeous. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. aw, thanks sheila! please come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, this is wormy from apartment therapy. Thanks so much for sharing your paver design and resource! I looked once, but will check Lowe's again Your yard is very cool, I hope you enjoy it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ wormy - No problem! Good luck with the pavers.

    ReplyDelete